Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Summer 2018 Watercolor Project

Watercolor Project: Marsh Madness Week 4


This turned out to be the final week of this project. yes, I could do more If I want, as could you, but for all intents and purposes we did what we set out to do.

These trees on the left we gave them texture by making a darker color with burnt sienna, blue and a touch of purple (remember, if it is in shadow, it needs blue and purple to make it look like a shadow), then using the edge of my 1/4" flat, angle brush I made a series of marks on the tree trunks to create the texture of the bark. You MUST remember to leave some of the previous color as you do this, that previous color becomes the highlights to the shadows you are putting in. Watercolor is light to dark so you must remember to save your highlights.


As I walked around I saw that most people do not believe me when I say that the liner brush needs to be practiced with BEFORE you get to your painting. Some were even blaming the brush because it was too fat rather than practice. Most of you have a #3 or smaller, mine is also a #3 and it can make so hair-fine lines, but it takes practice. (See image)

First you want to fill the bristles to the metal ferrule by wiggling it around in the ink-like paint. As you lift off your palette, roll the brush in your fingers so it comes to a point. Hold the brush at the very end and slightly down so the paint will flow from the bristles. If you press the bristles to the paper it will leave a fatter mark, as you drag your brush across your paper gradually lift it up to the tip of the brush until it lifts off. You should have created a line that starts thick and tapers to nothing, that is your first branch. To create branches, and if you loaded your brush correctly you should still have paint for several branches, start back in the fatter part of the branch you just painted and as you pull and lift, go off in a different direction. Yes, I make it look easy because I have been doing this for decades but I also did a lot of practice when I was learning how to use this brush and I watched others use this brush, it will come IF you take the time to practice.


I had some of my branches go all the way into the light area at the top to break up the negative space, then I added some leave shapes off of some of the branches and twigs but I didn't cover the entire light area so you can see the sky through the leaves.


On the right hand side, I had masked out the two branches coming in from the side so I could add more reflections from the bushes in the water (wet the area and added a sap green and blue and letting the paint run on the paper) and when it was dry, I added reeds sticking out of the water. I used several shades of green for the reeds from light (yellow and sap green) to a dark green (sap green, blue and a tiny touch of purple) and used my liner brush.

Once that area was dry, I finished the branches and added another in the corner and the suggestion of dead leaves as well.

I also took some of the dark green from the leaves to suggest reflections from the branches.


As I was finishing up the painting, someone said "All it needs are some ducks swimming through." good suggestion, so I added a family of ducks with just a few quick simple strokes: a ball for the head, a flat "U" for the body and a tiny touch of orange for the bill, the babies were just the round head and a tiny egg- shape for the body. These critters are way too small for much if any detail so don't try to paint feathers on these things. I also added some wake lines using the dark blue/green.


This is the finished project, if you need more time to finish yours we have 4 weeks left in the semester so there is time to get it done. If you have finished or tied of the project please be sure to have something you want to paint with you next class. I will be doing demos as needed because if one person is struggling with a technique, they probably are not alone. I do take requests as well. 

P.S. I did a wash over the entire painting with a color called Quinacridone Gold, several manufactures have their version of this color, it looks like burnt umber when you put it out but add a bit of water and it is a beautiful golden color. I will sometimes do a wash over a painting to warm it up, you don't have to but just wanted to show you some options.



So until next time, keep painting and I will see you in class.

No comments: