Saturday, February 7, 2015

Watercolor Safe Harbor Week 3

The first thing we did in class to begin with is to strengthen our colors of the boat, the buildings on the dock, the water and anything that we need to do or feel we have to do before we can take off the masking fluid. Be sure that your boat is dark enough and that you have everything that you want done to your buildings complete at this point before you take off the masking fluid.

On the buildings and on the dock in the foreground, I did what is called dry brush. Dry brush means that there is very little water on your brush, mostly pigment and little of that as well. To load your brush pick up some color, work it into your brush and then you take your paper towel and squeeze the base of the bristles to suck out any excess moisture. Then with your fingers squeeze the bristles so they flay out. With light strokes go over the area that your painting. For instance the dock in front and buildings and back might be old wooden
buildings by dragging your brush across these areas you can create what looks like wood grain. Dry brush is a very effective way to add small amount of color and it also allows you to create texture.

The next thing I did was to bring the color of my water up so that it was as dark as I needed it to be. That doesn't mean that you paint over everything that is there it just means that you're adding another layer of color. Remember to leave the water in the background lighter and less colorful than the water in the foreground. To the water in the foreground I added sap green, Hooker’s green, purple, blues even my cerulean blue to bring up the value and intensity of the color of the water.

One thing I did do because I did not like what I had from last week, was I thought I had brought the reflection color of the boat too far down in my water, so before I started on the water I lifted out some of that dark color and let that area dry before I went over it again with new lighter colors. You don't need to do much to suggest a reflection so be careful of getting your water too dark too far down or too far over.

When you have everything where you like it and you can't find anything else you need to do, let your painting dry and let it dry  completely because when you take off the masking if there is any wet paper there is the possibility of tearing the surface of your paper, so make sure it’s good and dry before you remove the masking.

To remove the masking you can use your finger or you can use a piece of tape turn so the sticky side is out or if you have a rubber cement pick up which are available usually at most office supply stores (I didn’t find them at OfficeMax though) where they have the rubber cement. You can feel any masking that is on your paper by lightly rubbing your hand over the surface if it feels tacky that's probably the masking. Make sure you have it all off before you start this next phase of your painting.

Many of you have wondered about how we're going to use this masked out area we've created, with the masking off we are going to start shaping them into the things that are
there. The color for the netting and some of the equipment that's on the top of the boat I mixed up a gray color (remember that is your blue, burnt sienna, and purple with water to make it grey) to make a medium dark color. Use this color to cut down the size of the mast and antenna area leaving bits of the white paper that becomes the highlights. The same color can be used in the back for the ramp thing that's on the back of the boat and also for the netting. Just start cutting down some of the light area and adding dark to it to shape these things you just want to leave some of the light but not all of the light so these things have some highlights.

The same thing in the water if you put masking in the water for highlights take your blues your purples and greens and cut down some of the bright white.  I had a problem with saving whites where I had not gotten color behind some of my pots and I had removed my masking before I spotted the problem so I had to go back in on the lower pots an add blue behind it “dots” to represent the see through spaces in the net. This technique is called negative­ painting, basically I was painting the holes in the netting so that I left the highlight and later I will come back in and put the netting and the framework of the pots.

Last but not least I started on the pilings in the front doc there is a dark side in a light side using my half inch angled brush. I mixed a dark color that is on the brown side with the
sienna, blue and purple and using the very edge of my brush and making little vertical marks in the direction of the wood grain of my pilings. I started in the shadowed area then working around to the sunny side, I added touches of sienna until I came into the light area where I added orange and yellow to create a rounded piling.

This is where I stopped and we probably will have one more week on the boat. Start looking for something you want to paint because you need to understand how to work on your own projects and how what you have learned from the class project and how it will apply to the subjects you select.  Be sure that you have your reference photos with you, the reference photos are important when you are trying to finish up your paintings.

Keep painting and I will see you in class.
Torrance Class Week 2


No comments: