Saturday, April 27, 2013

SPRING 20013 WATERCOLOR

Project: Az Wash

This post won’t be very long because I have already gone over everything you need to do in previous posts (that’s what the practice was for), nothing has changed you just need to put it all together to start the project. Just take it one step at a time and let things dry in between steps.


I will give you this word of caution though: Don’t get too dark too quick when you are working in the distant mountains. The darkest areas in those mountains are still in the mid-range on the value scale 1 being white and 10 being black, the darkest darks in those mountains is about a 6 or 7 no darker or it comes too close visually. I also want you to note that I have painted right over the area where there will be dark branches and negative painted around areas that need to be lighter. The dark branches need to have the extra value so having the area painted will not hurt the final outcome but in areas where I am going to want bright highlights, I can never get back to the white of the paper if I paint over the area so I must negative paint around those areas.
PV Version

There are some areas on the right side where I am not only negative painting around the foreground trees but also the trees on the other side of the wash behind them, check your reference photo NOT MY PAINTING to be sure where those areas are in your painting.

Be patient with the process and take your time. This is a very challenging subject but if you break it down into smaller pieces, even the new people in class can have success with this painting. See you in class.


No comments: